The Brian David Ash Memorial Fire Prevention Fund was established to promote fire safety education in the greater Meriden area. On October 14, 1983, Brian went to a sleepover at a friend’s house. The mother fell asleep smoking and she, her two sons and Brian died due to the lack of working smoke detectors. The fund operates under the Meriden Foundation, which is a tax-exempt charitable trust managed by The Webster Financial Advisors.
Our purpose is to promote fire safety through literature, films and videos, posters, and numerous specialty-advertising giveaways, the children’s fire hats during fire prevention week and a battery exchange program. In addition to these items, we work very closely with the Meriden Fire Department, whose staff frequently makes public presentations to organizations ranging from elementary school classrooms to the local senior center on the importance of fire safety education.
The cost of these programs has been funded by donations, which are tax deductible. In order for us to continue our life saving message, we need the financial support of the local community. We are seeking the help of area businesses and organizations, and seek your financial support. All contributions are appreciated and publicly acknowledged. They should be sent to “The Brian David Ash Memorial Fire Fund” c/o The Webster Financial Advisors, Jeffrey Otis, Webster Plaza, Waterbury, CT 06702.
Our major fundraiser for the past eighteen years has been a hot dog sale held at a local food store in Meriden with all the products sold donated, enabling us to utilize 100% of all proceeds. This year our fundraiser was held at Super Stop and Shop. In conjunction with this sale, we set up displays of numerous pieces of literature, which are available without charge.
If I can be of any assistance, please call me at (203) 634-1883.
Roberta Anne Ash, Chairperson
The Brian David Ash Memorial Fire Prevention Fund
4 Woodmere Knoll
Meriden, CT 06450